So how do I Save Energy Part 3?
- 23 April 2008
- Home Energy Centre
Choose, if possible, materials that are eco-friendly - they are generally no more expensive than non-sustainable products.
- Maximise the use of windows and skylights to bring natural daylight into your home
- Double glazing - worth considering, to insulate your house and let in heat
- Solar water heating - can heat between 50 & 75% of your hot water every year
- Solar energy panels - grants are available for some solar installations - visit EECA's Solar Smarter website for help and advice
- Ensure good ventilation to avoid high moisture levels that can cause health problems
- Insulation - will pay for itself many times over, by dramatically reducing your heating costs in winter and improving your comfort level in the heat of summer
- Hot water cylinder and pipes - heat is escaping from them, if hot to the touch - wraps are available, to reduce this loss of expensive heat
For more information on building energy efficiency, visit the Eco Design Advisor website